Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Homemade laundry soap

I have been making my own laundry soap for a while now. It's super cheap and last for a long time. I used the last of it the other night and needed to make more soon because we all know when you get behind on laundry it takes ages to get caught up again.

This is what you will need..




Arm and hammer super washing soda (bought at Publix), Borax (bought at Taget) and a bar of Ivory soap (Bought at Wal-Mart) I like to use Fels-Naptha soap bar that I buy at Publix but I was out and only had Ivory in the house so that's what I used. 

Grate the bar soap into a sauce pan using a cheese grater (I bought one at the dollar store and only use it for making laundry soap) 






Add 4 cups of water and boil on stove until soap is melted stirring often.


Now do not walk away and say to yourself "I'll keep and eye on it from the table" because you will end up with this not so nice mess to clean up..

After all the soap is melted get out you 5 gallon bucket (I got mine at lowe's for $3). Fill the bucket half way with hot water.


Add one cup Arm and hammer super washing soda


And 1/2 a cup of Borax


Then dump the melted soap in the bucket


Mix, Mix, Mix, Mix, Mix (I use a wood mixer stick I got for free from lowe's when I bought the bucket)


Then fill the bucket up with hot water the rest of the way and mix it all up a little more.

Put the lid on and let sit over night.


When is has sat over night mix it up then fill your store bought laundry container half full with the homemade laundry soap. Fill the rest of the way with water.

If clothes are really dirty (When are they not when you have a toddler in the house?) I add some oxi-clean to the wash. 

I got this recipe from the Duggar family website.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is so super easy to follow!!!!! Think I am definitely going to give this a try after I run out of the two bottles I just got the other day!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete